Friday, February 17, 2017

A Hands On Experience

Aaahh, looks like it’s that time of the week again! As soon as I finished my required hours for this week, my hands have been rapidly churning to type up my experiences for you guys, so I hope you enjoy and find what I do as something interesting and appealing to you :). So just sit back, relax, maybe grab some popcorn, and enjoy!

NBA basketball eating lebron james popcorn

First off, if you tuned in last week, I introduced some of the team members I work with. But looking back at it, I seemed to have forgotten to mention a very important member of the Synergy family, Bruin. Bruin is the clinic’s therapy dog. Generally speaking, he roams around the office and approaches patients who look in pain. From there, he usually licks their faces or wags his tail out excitement just as a way of brightening their day. See, some of these patients who come in carry deformities, old age, and other limiting factors, which often impedes them from always having a positive outlook on life. Bruin’s main job is to provide some type of spark, big or small, to help these patients with their already tough lives and motivate them to get better. I know you all must be waiting to see what he looks like, so here’s a picture of him below:


Now that that’s over with, let’s get into what exactly I did this week.

I walked into the clinic, hoping to take on a bigger role and possibly work with some patients on my own (as opposed to the shadowing I did last week). And sure enough, my prayers were answered. Dr. Vincent extended my leash in a sense and allowed me to perform three basic hamstring stretches and certain corrective exercises on a few patients. Anatomically speaking, there are three hamstring muscles: the semitendinosus, the semimembranosus, and the biceps femoris. So basically, I was tasked with isolating these muscles individually through a series of stretches that work to eliminate any tightness and provide extended rage of movement. Now, each patient is different and has a different tolerance level. Therefore, as a therapist, it is important to feel for the patients and always ask them if the stretch is too much or too little, so they can maximize the full effects of the stretch. However, it is also important, as Dr. Vincent and the clinic instruct, to push patients somewhat beyond their limits in order to increase muscle strength and expedite the recovery process. Yet, this philosophy may be considered completely incorrect at other offices, which just goes to show that every clinic has its own methods. But when talking to many of the patients about this sort of aggressive approach, they all seemed to value it, claiming that even though a burning sensation may arise, it has proved to transformed their lives and make them stronger.

steve carrell

Unfortunately, for this post we may have to end things a little sentimental. This week, I found out the other four students I had just met last week won’t be working with us for the entire duration of my project. In fact, Jordan and Nicole’s last day was today, and Joe and Laurie’s last day will be next Friday. From here, they will take the next step in their PT journey as they return back to school and possibly conduct further research at other clinics. Even though their departure may open up more opportunities for me to work and connect with patients, these four have taught me so much in such a short time that they will truly be missed. So I'm throwing out a big thank you to them and to all of you who made it to the end of this post. I’ll be back with more eventful experiences next week. Enjoy the long weekend!



26 comments:

  1. Bruin is adorable! Is he an actual therapy dog or more of a motivational presence? Also, do issues ever arise where patients are surprised to see him or become more nervous?

    How exciting that you were able to lead patients in performing exercises this week. After trying PT on for size, do you think this is a career in which you could see yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Mitrovich! His job as a therapy dog is to serve as an emotional support for the patients. And so far, I haven't come noticed or heard of any issues regarding Bruin and making patients nervous. He actually does the opposite and more so soothes them throughout their 1 hour PT session. As far as my career, I really have enjoyed these past few weeks at Synergy and the I could see myself working in a position like this in the future as I scramble to figure out my proper career choice down the road. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. My day would certainly be improved if I met Bruin! Is there a particular therapeutic reason for the choice in breed, or is he simply the favorite dog of Dr. Vincent or another employee?

    It seems to me like your timing was perfect: you were able to meet many other PT students to help introduce you to the field, and now that you've gained some skills you're able to push yourself and assume some of their responsibilities. Best of luck in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Trey! I do not believe there is a particular reason for the choice in breed for our therapy dog. I believe he belongs to Emily, the office manager, and he has really adapted to his role as a therapy dog coming in with her to work every morning.

      Delete
  3. Hey Ameya! Dogs are literally the best; how could you forget Bruin?

    It's cool that you mentioned that each clinic has its own philosophy regarding whether or not to push a patient into doing more with each exercise. What do you think is a good way to approach physical therapy so far; is it right to push someone to do a little more, or should comfort be more of a priority?

    I can't wait to see how your project progresses. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tanmyaa! I strongly believe in Dr. Vincent's aggressive approach and value pushing patients into doing more as that ultimately increases their muscle strength and speeds up their recovery.

      Delete
  4. Hey Ameya! I have to say, Bruin certainly seems like an effective therapy tool!

    I also think the balance you mention between pain and progress is really interesting. It makes sense that the patients who put in more effort usually progress more quickly, but is there any risk of patients re-injuring themselves during therapy sessions? Are you taught to recognize any warning signs that might mean patients are pushing themselves beyond their physical limits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Grady! Yes, it is completely possible for patients to re-injure themselves with many of these exercises. The way we operate is by showing them the correct way to perform these exercises as well as assessing their pain level while performing them. Of course, if they feel extreme pain, we will not push them to perform the exercises; we simply aim to find that medium between pushing them to their limits while also not pushing them to the point where they end up injuring themselves.

      Delete
  5. Hi there Ameya! I thought that it was pretty neat that each clinic had their own way of making their patients do exercises. I forgot to ask in my last comment, but what interested you to pursue doing this as your senior project? And do you plan on taking a career in it? And it looks like to me that Bruin is the best employee there :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anirudh! I was interested in this project as my mom underwent physical therapy after two knee surgeries and I really wanted to see what she went through and understand her recovery process. Also, being a basketball player, I often come home extremely sore after almost every game so I hope to learn effective stretches and exercise routines to increase my muscle strength and thus limit this muscle soreness.

      Delete
  6. Hi Ameya,
    It sounds like your project is going well. It's amazing how you're able to increase your role at the office so quickly. I was wondering if Bruin, or any other animals at therapist's offices, improve the patient's physical health or does the therapy animal only affect the mental health of patients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shiza! Bruin really focuses on the patient's mental health as he serves as an emotional support; he really doesn't affect their physical health as that's all up to the patients :).

      Delete
  7. Hey Ameya,
    I can tell you are having a blast at the office. It is so cool that Dr.Vincent is trusting you with a bigger role in his clinic. I am excited to see what you learn next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nishant! Thanks for your excitement; I'm even more excited to bring you guys some interesting content in the coming weeks. Stay tuned :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Ameya! It's amazing that you are finally getting a hands-on experience at the clinic. It definitely sounds like you're having a lot of fun. So did you have to target which hamstring muscle each patient was having a problem with and then do the appropriate exercise with them? Also, as a basketball player, have you ever been pushed beyond your limits in order to expedite a pulled muscle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Armaan! For the hamstring stretches, I basically isolated each hamstring muscle with a different stretch which allowed their muscles to ease up more, providing added movement. Also to address your other question, in basketball, I haven't had as significant injuries to the point where I would have to undergo several weeks of physical therapy so I can't exactly relate with that feeling (knock on wood).

      Delete
  9. Hey Ameya,
    Your work sounds incredibly interesting and I was wondering, how do patients usually react when pushed during stretching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may usually cringe a bit in pain but often tell us its perfect because after stretching, they feel much more loose.

      Delete
  10. Ameya,
    Honestly, this seems like such a great environment. I think it is really cool that you have realized how some offices use some strategies that others do. Have you researched or investigated in other offices strategies? Have you talked to Dr. Vincent on why he chooses some excersises and strategies over others?

    I'm glad you are having fun! Looking forward to your next post.
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Audrey! I was talking with Dr. Vincent and he was the one who mentioned the differences between clinics. I myself haven't visited other clinics to compare them. But when talking to Dr. Vincent, he mentions the importance of pushing these patients because that's the only way these patients will recover the quickest and most efficient.

      Delete
  11. Im glad you didnt forget Bruin! Does he help with any of the patients? I know i would enjoy having a dog by my side while i am recovering from an injury. I know that some people like a deeper stretch than others. Ive also heard that you can overstretch your muscles, so as an athlete, how would i be able to tell if im overstretching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joey! yes, he helps with the patients in providing them with emotional support and motivation to recover, In terms of overstretching, you'll be able to feel it in your muscles while being stretched. If the burning sensation becomes too overbearing and your muscles physically can't stretch farther, yet you or someone else is pushing them farther, then they are probably being overstretched.

      Delete
  12. Hi Ameya! It was great to see you do more around the clinic and to meet a great dog! (dogs are always good). What other kinds of exercises will you be doing in the future, and do you think you will get to work more with patients as your project progresses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mimi! I will be doing a vast array of exercises in the future from jumping rope to medicine ball squats to you name it basically.. whatever helps the patient the most. Also, I believe my interaction with the patients will increase more and more over the weeks as Dr. Vincent develops more trust in me. :)

      Delete
  13. Bruin seems like a very fun dog. I wish I could meet him! I'm also glad to see that you're beginning to do more at the clinic now. I look forward to reading next week's post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Ameya. It is really great to see that you are connecting with your patients more and it is awesome that you have a chance to make the other's lives stronger. Bruin, by the way, is a fantastic addition to the clinic, and he is also very cute! It is sad to realize that the other 4 members will be leaving, but still keep up the great work, just as they had.
    -Adarsh

    ReplyDelete