Friday, February 24, 2017

Another Eventful Week

Wooooohoooooo!!! Guess what day it is? That’s right, it’s a Friday and I’m spending my Friday night eating ice cream and writing my week 3 blog post for you guys (I know right, I’m a wild one). It really seemed like you guys enjoyed Bruin more than anything else I wrote about in last week’s post as almost every comment I read mentioned him. I’ll try and bring more Bruin pictures for you guys (that way you have more of an incentive to tune in every week :-P).

laughing scooby doo

As the weeks have gone by, things have progressively been getting juicier and juicier (for lack of a better word). We’ve analyzed patients of many different ages with many different injuries. In doing so, we questioned them on their experiences with physical therapy and even worked to stretch them out/exercise them. See, many of the patients at this clinic understand the aggressive approach it takes, and while they may struggle and fatigue, the long term implications are what makes it worth it. One particular patient described this form of therapy as painful, but necessary. To put this in perspective, I'll hearken back to the senior quote I made: “Obstacles and struggles are just fuel to the fire that makes you stronger.” Trust me, I did not plan this, but turns out it ended up working out pretty well. Anyways, the main point is that everyone needs a little push to get to the other side; and here at Synergy, everyone is aware of that and embraces it (otherwise they’d be at some other clinic right?) But without further ado, let’s get into this week...

arizona cardinals

As I mentioned in last week’s post, today is the last day for Joe and Lori :(. From here, they will go on to continue their journey in becoming a registered PT and PTA respectively. And just as an FYI, PT’s are mainly concerned with diagnosing patients and prescribing rehabilitation programs while PTA’s prioritize preparing patients to be diagnosed and aiding patients in executing their rehabilitation programs. But anyways, a big thank you to Joe and Lori! I remember telling Joe I want a beard like his because the problem with mine is that it doesn’t connect and his does perfectly. So, if you have any suggestions to fix that, PLEASE comment down below, it’s really been bothering me lately.

NBA annoyed eye roll houston rockets side eye

In addition to the departure of Joe and Lori, there was also the arrival of a new student, Kirsten. She is currently on a quest to become a PTA and simply trying to familiarize herself within the clinic’s setting and working to hone the requisite skills of a PTA. Though Kirsten will only be here for two weeks, I am really excited to work with her as her outgoing personality seems to comfort every patient and allow them to build trust in her, something I’m working to develop during my time here. As far as my work in clinic this week, it was more of the same routine. I began filling out subjective sheets, which are essentially documents individualized for each patient, holding information on what therapeutic exercises/activates were performed during the visit and notes on how the patient was feeling coming into the visit. These records allow us to analyze any progress the patients are making and which exercises work and which ones don’t. From there, we may adjust the treatment regimens to what caters to the long term benefits of the patients. I also will be discussing with Dr. Vincent about some more in-depth analysis for my research and will work to bring in new concepts such as surveys into next week’s post for you all. But other than that, I think that’ll do it for this post. As always, thank you for tuning this week and I hope to see you next week for more exciting experiences and discoveries!


television comedy hockey nbc the office










28 comments:

  1. Hi Ameya! Reading your blog this week was really interesting!By any chance, are you trying to become a PT or PTA? Also, how would you define if a patient is making progress, as you said that pain is often beneficial and that it could eventually help toward the recovery process Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Armaan! I'm not exactly if I want to go into physical therapy, but I'm hoping this research project can illuminate that for me. However, if I were to go into physical therapy, I would like to be a PT so that I can have more control in terms of operating the clinic in my way and more interaction with all of the patients. To answer your next question, I can assess if patients are making progress based on how they feeling each time they come into the clinic and how much range they display with their affected area.

      Delete
  2. Your senior quote is very topical! Mine was about getting other people to finish my work, so I'm not sure what that says about my project...
    Anyways, it's cool to know how personalized physical therapy is to each person's body and comfort level. Here's to another great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Trey! Always appreciate the feedback. Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. It seems like you are meeting a lot of new and interesting people! Also, I like your gifs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Richard! Yes, I am. I absolutely LOVE the atmosphere here. And I'll try and pick some more funny gifs next week just for you :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Ameya!! Your GIFs are hilarious....especially because you use one from The Office every week ;-) Next week, you should give us a video of Bruin if you can!!! :-) I, and probably everyone else, love seeing videos of dogs being dogs, especially when they're just being cute and helping people out. I noticed you asked about how to get a connecting beard, and even though I can't help out with that because I don't have a beard and really don't want to help you grow one out, just please keep shaving. A smooth face is way better in my opinion... just saying! ;-) And now for a more research related comment, what other stretches/exercises have you been able to perform on your patients, and what have you learned from them? Have you been able to use that experience out of the clinic and aid family and/or friends slightly yet? Woah that was a long comment, but thanks for making these blogs so fun to read every week. They definitely are becoming "juicier and juicier!" ;-)
    -Simran Prakash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Simran! Wow, if there was an award for top comment of the week, you would absolutely be holding that right now. Now, where to start.. lol. For starters, I think I'll just try and grow the beard out and allow time to improve the quality. I don't think I'll be shaving it anytime soon, but thanks for the advice :-P. Now to answer your questions. Some other stretches/exercises I perform include some quad and calf stretches, medicine ball squat tosses, push-ups, side-steps, etc. And often times,I will do these stretches/exercises with the patients to provide added motivation and also experience what they are experiencing every time they step foot in the clinic. Ans yes, I have actually practiced 3 hamstring stretches on one of my good friends, Simran Prakash... maybe you've heard of her? So, hopefully with more practice, I'll be able to become an expert like Vincent and some of the other therapists I work with. But for now, I'm just focusing on honing my skills (whatever skills I have, that is) :). Anyways, I hope that answered all your questions and I once again appreciate all the support! ;-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Ameya! Hair implants are an option for your beard, maybe you can color it in with sharpie if you want an easier option. I was wondering to what extent these treatments are personalized- does every person get their own treatment, or are adjustments made to the treatment plan only if necessary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mimi! Thanks for the beard advise, I'll think about your options but I'll probably just let it grow out and go from there lol. But to answer your question, the treatments are different for every patient because every patient is different and may have different injuries. Thus, there isn't exactly a broad "treatment plan;" every patient has their own regimen.

      Delete
  6. Ameya,
    Sounds like the routine is working well for you! Have you found more interest in this field of study? Does this interest you as a profession? Can't wait to hear from you next week.
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Audrey! Yes, I'm taking more and more interest in this field as the weeks go by and I wonder how it will be at the conclusion of my project. But, I'm having a lot of fun with what I'm doing and excited for the coming weeks.

      Delete
  7. Hey Ameya, Joe will be dearly missed. As for the beard, im sure there are several youtube videos which can help you pursue your desired beard. What would you do in the situation that the pain of physical therapy becomes to much for the patient? I know some people have higher tolerances to pain than others so are there other less effective but less painful excercises which accomplish the same thing as their higher pain, more effective counterpart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joey! Good question. All the exercises that we do can be adjusted based on the degree of difficulty/pain. So ultimately, the more you push yourself in these exercises, the faster you will see improvement. Yet, if it becomes too painful, we can always adjust the exercise to possibly fewer reps or a lower weight for example.

      Delete
  8. Ameya, It seems as if you are learning alot at the office. I find it especially cool that you personalize each patient visit to choose which excercises work and which don't. I can not wait to hear from you next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nishant! Thanks for the feedback; I'm glad you're taking interest in my project :)

      Delete
  9. Ameya,
    It sounds like your project is going well.I look forward to hearing more about what you learn and experience. I cant wait to see those pictures of Bruin. Do you think that you would consider a career that involved you being a PT or working with a PT in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shiza! Yes, I would definitely consider it. I love working with different patients and just getting to know them and learn about the stories f their lives. I'm very thankful for this opportunity :)

      Delete
  10. Hey Ameya, absolutely stellar blog post, I really enjoyed it. Your gifs are funny, and your senior quote is really good. I look forward to your future blog posts and wish you luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Case! Thanks for tuning in for yet another week. I'm glad you liked my post and hopefully I can deliver an even better one for you next week :)

      Delete
  11. Hey Ameya! I really love how excited you are about your internship! I always feel inspired (not to mention a little lazy) after reading about how so many PT patients are so dedicated to their therapy no matter how difficult. But for patients who might falter slightly, what strategies do therapists have for keeping them motivated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Grady! The therapists are mainly in charge of caring for the patients and providing them with recommendations to change. It is really up to the patients if they want to change and get better. And I feel that is their motivation as the majority of it is in their hands.

      Delete
  12. Hi there Ameya! I would love to see Bruin again, he is so awesome! I was also wondering if you wanted to be a PT in the future???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anirudh! I'm not totally sure yet, but I know it would be a very engaging and fun experience.

      Delete
  13. Hey again Ameya. I do want to see more picture of Bruin, because he is really adorable. But other than that, it is great to see that you have not only been getting to work hands-on with the patients, but also able to record behaviors and such. Continue having fun at the clinic, along with Kirsten. Also, I don't know of a direct way to grow out your beard, but I am sure you will eventually have a beard as gracious as Joe's.
    -Adarsh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adarsh! Thank you for your kind wishes and I'm glad you are taking interest in my research. See you next week :)

      Delete
  14. Hey Ameya! Clearly, the most important part of your blog should be Bruin. Anyway, it's great to see that you're having a great time with your project. I was just wondering, seeing that progress is such a subjective term, what progress might mean for different patients. Hope the rest of your project goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tanmyaa! Progress can be defined in terms of how the patient feels week in and week out. If they are gradually feeling better over the weeks, I feel that they are making progress.

      Delete